Posted on 26th February, 2018 by Jared Orlin
As part of our ‘Getting to Know’ series of blog posts, we’re talking to central members of the LEO Learning family so you can get to know them a bit better. Today we’re talking to the head of LEO Learning’s Creative Studio, Holly Leong.
Describe your role at LEO Learning.
I define processes, cost creative elements of projects, manage the managers and advise anyone and everyone on the creative disciplines. I also make it my aim to ensure a positive working culture and keep a happy department.
Which part of working at LEO Learning do you love most?
I love solving problems and, in doing so, making a positive impact for the people I work with. Seeing the thanks and difference I can make for my colleagues is so rewarding.
What is your proudest accomplishment?
I’m really proud of my career at LEO Learning. I started in 2011 as a Digital Designer and have worked my way to the Senior Management Team in six years (with four promotions along the way!). These include:
- Digital Designer (3 months) – I was offered a promotion soon after joining.
- Art Director (4 years) – I led the creative side for many clients (including British Airways, Dyson and Lloyds Banking Group). I also helped closely with the design of our award-winning sister company, elearning authoring tool gomo.
- Visual Design & Moving Image Manager – I helped grow the team from 14 to 29 permanent employees.
- Creative Studio Director – Nowadays, you’ll find me overseeing a Studio of nearly 50 permanent employees.
On the personal side, I started running four years ago using a couch to 5k app… and just kept going! I completed my first half marathon six months later. I also have an advanced riding level qualification (IAM) for my motorbike.
What is the biggest challenge you’ve overcome?
Delivering a large-scale public sector learning programme in 2017. I had to build a strong department in order to deliver the project, which was mammoth in scale. At times, I directly line-managed 50 people. The deadlines were demanding and the programme was huge, but we did it.
What are the three things you can’t work without?
- Talented colleagues. Being surrounded by great people who are experts in their own fields.
- My health. Staying fit and healthy is what keeps me positive everyday – I’ve got to have those eight hours of sleep. I enjoy running and walking, and spend most my holidays hiking around the English countryside/mountains.
- My MacBook Pro – I’d be lost without it.
As a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
I loved The X-Files, which led to my dream of being a forensic scientist and doing autopsies. Think I got a little sidetracked with that one…
Now that you know LEO Learning’s Holly Leong better, we’d love to get to know you too. To find out how LEO Learning can help you transform learning and development in your organisation, contact us today.